An article about Joseph Di Giorgio’s contributions to Cefalu’s Istituto Artigianelli “Di Giorgio”, from its journal Orfani.
Unfortunately, my Italian isn’t up to translating. Automated translation produces the following:
We are used to report in this journal visits of our benefactors, because this is our duty toward them and our own satisfaction, because we see so appreciated our modest work in this Institute.
But it is also our duty to report the benefactors, who, while not coming to Cefalù to visit the orphanage Artigianelli “Salvatore Di Giorgio” have merit. Bishop Miceli, who has conceived, designed, desired this, then entrusting to the PP. Josephites of Murialdo, he could think and rethink for a long time if God had not moved the hearts of those who had to provide the means. And the first and main benefactor was the cousin, Comm Giuseppe Di Giorgio, who gave him the land and promised him his valuable help.
The Comm Di Giorgio was not a common man, not only in trade but also in the conception of life and found himself in agreement with his cousin. He had a big heart, noble ideas, generous, up to date, and to him, the Italian -American, also sought the advice of the great American politics.
He saw photography as in advancing the work of his father ll’orfanotrofio name of the Savior, but could not see the complete work, because unfortunately missed during the construction, February 25, 1951.
He had promised a first contribution indeterminate, then led a hundred thousand dollars, and finally stared to 125 thousand. With his death, it seemed that the work should not be finalized, but the heirs, under the presidency of his nephew, Joseph S. Di Giorgio, non-degenerate by the goodness and generosity of his uncle, who wanted that the work might be fulfilled. They give that they continued to promise that was missing in de llo uncle and then silently send their offers and they did until the end of 1962.
The accounts about the construction of the building had been suspended necessarily required, because it is waiting for the contribution of the Region of Sicily, on which he had relied. But as recently disappointed all hope is gone, it is certainly not due to close in the black.
Only now from these accounts we could fully appreciate the contribution made by the family Di Giorgio, very impressive contribution. Up to the time of the inauguration, which took place September 25, 1955, it had sent $ 150,000 to the construction in the amount of 98,521,000 Lit. From 1955 to 1962, the heirs have sent the other $ 13.750 changed to 8,649,775 lire. In the first sum was included offers some relatives and friends, but the second is exclusively family Di Giorgio.
This name certainly will remain in the minds and hearts of all those orphans and children who are to profit, and profit and will profit a benefit so great. Through this, they will have a future healthy and honest, which is prepared in the Institute Salvatore Di Giorgio Cefalu, remember mixed in the sense of gratitude that this is precisely the right-thinking people.